Active Directory(AD) Authentication in Azure Sql not working


Active Directory(AD) Authentication in Azure Sql not working



I am trying to get Azure AD Authentication working against my Azure SQL Database.



Next, I logged in to SSMS using MY domain account to create the user:


CREATE USER [xxx@yyy.com] FROM EXTERNAL PROVIDER;
GO
sp_addrolemember db_datareader, [xxx@yyy.com];
GO
sp_addrolemember
db_datawriter, [xxx@yyy.com];
GO



When I attempt to login with the xxxxx@yyy.com account , I get back:


Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITYANONYMOUS LOGON'. (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)

Server Name: zzzzz.database.windows.net
Error Number: 18456
Severity: 14
State: 1
Line Number: 65536



What am I missing ?



Weird observation, if I intentionally use the wrong password I get back this error:
AADSTS70002: Error validating credentials. AADSTS50126: Invalid username or password, that tells the AD is somehow working, but something is broken in the overall process.



Another weird observation:
If I add a valid AD account, it succeeds


CREATE USER [xxx@yyy.com] FROM EXTERNAL PROVIDER;



If I generate a bad AD account


CREATE USER [xxxABC@yyy.com] FROM EXTERNAL PROVIDER;



I get back:


Principal 'xxxABC@yyy.com' could not be found or this principal type is not supported.




1 Answer
1



From a "simialr post"



The Anonymous Logon error occurs when you haven't specified the database you want to connect to. Simply select "options" on the SSMS login screen and type in the database name you want to connect to. This is because your user is a contained user on the database it was created in. It does not exist on Master. – Greg Grater Mar 7 '17 at 1:23



This fixed my issue -- hours wasted!!!



Note: for ODBC conenctions the user must also be created in master






By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

paramiko-expect timeout is happening after executing the command

how to run turtle graphics in Colaboratory

Export result set on Dbeaver to CSV