Olympic 2012 long-jump hero Greg Rutherford will retire at the end of the season after being crippled with injuries



==





OLYMPIC 2012 long-jump legend Greg Rutherford will retire at the end of the season after being crippled with injuries.


The 31-year-old is desperate to be fit for the European Championships in Berlin in August before ending his 13-year career.



 Greg Rutherford is desperate to be fit for the European Championships in Berlin in August
Getty Images - Getty



Greg Rutherford is desperate to be fit for the European Championships in Berlin in August

The dedicated daddy has picked up so many injuries during his medal-laden career that it is a battle just to play with his two children.


So he will hang up his spikes and ditch the sand in the summer but has been offered the chance to become a serious cyclist.



Speaking to the Guardian, Rutherford said: “At times I am in so much pain I can’t even sit on the floor and play with my two kids.


“I still feel I am fast. I still feel as if I am super strong. But whenever I try to sprint or jump I have to take three days off because I am limping so much. In the end it wears you down.



 Greg Rutherford has collected a string of medals and gongs
Getty - Pool



Greg Rutherford has collected a string of medals and gongs

 Greg Rutherford has given British athletics fans plenty to smile about
Getty Images - Getty



Greg Rutherford has given British athletics fans plenty to smile about

 A move into cycling will be a leap into the unkown for Greg Rutherford
Getty - Contributor



A move into cycling will be a leap into the unkown for Greg Rutherford

“I keep asking myself, what’s more important to me – trying to be a mediocre athlete holding on to past glories or moving on?”


“I’ll be 32 later this year. I don’t want to be the old man on the team who is making up the numbers. I want people to remember me for the good times.”



Rutherford has Diamond League, Commonwealth, European and World championships gold on his CV, making him the first Brit to hold all the major outdoor titles at the same time.


And he is not finished just yet as he targets an unprecedented Euro hat-trick and toys with the idea of leaping onto two wheels.





 Greg Rutherford does not want injuroes to hamper his ability to play with his kids


Greg Rutherford does not want injuroes to hamper his ability to play with his kids

 Greg Rutherford has been in such pain at times that he cannot even play with his children
Getty Images - Getty



Greg Rutherford has been in such pain at times that he cannot even play with his children

He said: “I would love the opportunity to become the first man to win three successive European long jump titles.


“And if I think I can win, I will go. But I am also going to be realistic.


"If my form isn’t there, I won’t stand in any British athlete’s way.


“I used to do a lot of BMX as a kid and I’ve been a mountain biker all my life, so the idea of seeing what I can do on a track bike really appeals.”



How to claim your FREE £10 bet




1 Register for Sun Bets here


2 Bet £5 or more


3 Sun Bets will stick a £10 bet in your account









OLYMPIC 2012 long-jump legend Greg Rutherford will retire at the end of the season after being crippled with injuries.


==

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

paramiko-expect timeout is happening after executing the command

how to run turtle graphics in Colaboratory

Export result set on Dbeaver to CSV