Olympic gold medalist Darren Campbell rushed to hospital with serious brain bleed and needed resuscitating



==





OLYMPIC champ Darren Campbell admits he is "relieved to be alive" after suffering a bleed on the brain.


The retired British sprint ace, 44, suffered a seizure at home last Tuesday and had to be resuscitated in hospital.



 Darren Campbell won relay gold in the 2004 Olympics
Getty - Contributor



Darren Campbell won relay gold in the 2004 Olympics

Campbell is now recovering and confirmed he had a pituitary apoplexy.


He told the BBC: "I nearly died. You have to give thanks. That is how close it was.



"I'm not working this summer. I always work but I am taking time off. Each minute and moment I'm trying to take things in and give thanks.


"I don't want to be Darren Campbell at the moment.




 Darren Campbell has been working as a pundit and presenter to share his knowledge
PA:Press Association



Darren Campbell has been working as a pundit and presenter to share his knowledge

 The retired sprinter spoke candidly about his harrowing ordeal
PA:Press Association



The retired sprinter spoke candidly about his harrowing ordeal

"I'm calm. What can I panic about? I'm alive. The fact I can talk to you and be calm, I have to be thankful."


BBC radio presenter Campbell had never suffered a seizure before but had several more during a rough few days in hospital.





BEVERLY HILLS POG Manchester United star Paul Pogba eyeing £10m Beverly Hills mansion for summer holiday home




His wife and three children have joined him, with the two youngest kids originally kept away until the former athlete's condition improved.



 Darren Campbell will now take time off to focus on his recovery
Getty



Darren Campbell will now take time off to focus on his recovery

Campbell - who won the 4x400m relay in the 2004 Games - added: "It's only when I see the fear in my kids' eyes that you realise.


"When they first told me I was on a ventilator, I didn't believe them. I've got other people filling in blanks. If you can't breathe by yourself, you are not in a good place.


"I have to be relieved as I nearly died."



Campbell needed three injections a day to stabilise his pituitary gland but hopes to leave hospital on Tuesday.


He explained: "It was scary for the family as they are used to seeing this strong character.


"All of a sudden I couldn't control my body. My oldest son has been a rock and kept everything together.


"The doctors have said if I wasn't so fit, I wouldn't be here.



 The decorated athlete has a wife and three sopnes
News Group Newspapers Ltd



The decorated athlete has a wife and three sopnes

 Campbell suffered several seizures while in hospital
Getty Images - Getty



Campbell suffered several seizures while in hospital

"I've been thinking about my kids, and all I was thinking is I have to keep fighting as I want to see my 10-year-old daughter get married one day.


"My daughter had been watching a programme called Say Yes to the Dress. She had come downstairs a couple of days earlier saying: 'Dad, I know what budget I want for my wedding dress.' She said: 'I want £5,000 for my dress.' You grab onto little things like that."


Manchester United legend Sir Alex Ferguson remains in hospital following his brain haemorrhage but is recovering well.


The retired manager has obviously kept his wicked sense of humour as he has been mocking Scotland boss Alex McLeish over an infamous backpass for Aberdeen in 2983.


 


 




OLYMPIC champ Darren Campbell admits he is "relieved to be alive" after suffering a bleed on the brain.


==

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

paramiko-expect timeout is happening after executing the command

how to run turtle graphics in Colaboratory

Export result set on Dbeaver to CSV